Castle Bromwich Golf Course was set up in 1896 at Hodge Hill. Until the 18th century this was common land where local people were allowed to graze their farm animals. It had then been enclosed as farmers' fields, most of it belonging to Lord Bradford.
Originally this was a 9-hole golf course which was enlarged to 18 holes in 1914.
Although the course was in the middle of the countryside some 6 miles from Birmingham, it was only a 15 minute walk from Castle Bromwich railway station.
When it was first opened, the golf course looked down from Hodge Hill across the Tame valley to the green fields of Erdington.
However, after the First World War, the Dunlop rubber factory and other large factories were built. The countryside view already was disappearing.
During the Second World War a prisoner-of-war camp was set up on the golf course. Anti-aircraft guns were placed here to protect the Spitfire factory and other factories that were important
for the war effort. It was the end of the golf club.
About 1950 the golf course was sold off and the houses of Hodge Hill were built here. The club itself went to Maxstoke where it still is.
Marked on early maps as Haye House, this was the club house of Castle Bromwich Golf Course.
After the War it became the Comet Inn which was demolished about 2000.
Haye House seems to have been built in the 17th century and was the home of the Chattock family who had lived in the area for hundreds of years.
'A History of Castle Bromwich for Young People' written by William Dargue 2016 for the Castle Bromwich Bellringers.
We’ve been ringing here for 500 years and are keen to involve local people in our ancient art. Contact us via our Castle Bromwich Bell Ringers website if you want learn to ring or visit the tower or have one of us talk to your group about the history of Castle Bromwich, our church or bellringing. Material on this site may be reused only for non-commercial purposes providing appropriate attribution is given (Creative Commons Licence Attribution NonCommercial 4.0) - details on the Contact page.